View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Orofaniel’s post

It was late, the afternoon was fading and it would soon be evening. The darkness was falling heavily over the woods of Lothlorien. The sun was about to leave Middle-Earth and the moon was soon to rise when Firiel heard trembling steps in the stairs. They were followed by stern knocks on the door.

Firiel didn't like the look on the face of her friend Tanroth. He looked both happy and anxious while standing in front of her. He was about to tell her something; she knew that. It seemed important, so she let him talk without her interrupting.

"The Lady wants me to lead a quest." said the strong man in front of her. "A quest which will be both difficult and dangerous.” He continued,"She wants me to lead a group of Elves to the Grey Haven so they can take the White Ship to the Undying lands, to Valinor."

"But the war is upon us," Firiel said anxiously when Tanroth had finished.

"Yes I know, and so does the Lady. But this quest has to be done now." He spoke in a desperate voice. "Only seven Elves and one friend may follow me, because there are only nine places left on the ship. Many have gone already and we don't seem to have much time left if we want to see our relatives and family in Valinor. We may die in this war!" He sounded even more desperate. "Some of us are so old that we won't be able to fight."

Firiel had listen to all he had said, but there was one word that she had taken great notice of. Now she understood. "Friend, you say....." Firiel muttered. "You want m-me to follow, am I correct?"

"It is terrible how people just read my mind today" Tanroth smiled and gave a short laugh. "Yes, I want you to follow," he said afterwards. "I want you to help me with this quest, and not only that; I know how you have been wanting to see your brothers and parents again..." he said not smiling anymore. He looked rather serious now.

Then Firiel suddenly remembered Rostion, her husband. She couldn't just leave him. She loved him! "What about my husband then?" She asked after a while.

"I don't think you have to worry about him," Rostion said in a "calm-down-voice" "It will probably be the oldest Elves, and Rostion is one of them." He continued, "There will be a meeting where the Elves will be chosen...."

"There will be a meeting?" Firiel interrupted as soon as she heard the word.
"Yes, a meeting, the Elves that will follow will be chosen there," he repeated slowly. "I'm sure that everyone will agree that the oldest Elves should have first priority."

"I hope you are right," Firiel said quite anxious again. "When is this meeting then?" she asked all of a sudden.

"Now," Tanroth said quickly. "So we must hurry," he continued. He looked at her and gave a sign that she should follow.