View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 04:34 AM   #80
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
VE-04 Okay, if I have at least halfe a vote from Aiwendil to work on, I will try to give a better editing of that § with additions only from LT2. And since I felt that it help to get some points in the War of Wrath discussion i will provide forum formated and plain text.
Forum formated:
Quote:
VE-08<PoME After apprenticeship to Círdan, and ever with his advice and help, Eärendil built> Vingilot{ he built}, fairest of the ships of song, the Foamflower; white were its timbers as the argent moon, golden were its oars, silver were its shrouds, its masts were crowned with jewels like stars. In the Lay of Eärendil is many a thing sung of his adventures in the deep and in lands untrodden, and in many seas and many isles. <LT2 - Outline E He {searches for Elwing and is} was blown far to the South.> {Ungoliant'}/There/ in the South he {slew, and her}[defeated the] darkness{ was destroyed}, and light came to many regions which had yet long been hid. <LT2 - Outline E He {escapes}escaped eastward. ><LT2 - Outline C Fire mountains{. Tree-men. Pygmies.}/ he saw and Ents he encountered./> But <LT2 - Outline E {He goes}/ he went/ back westward{.}>, while Elwing sat sorrowing at home.
Plain text:
Quote:
VE-08 After apprenticeship to Círdan, and ever with his advice and help, Eärendil built Vingilot, fairest of the ships of song, the Foamflower; white were its timbers as the argent moon, golden were its oars, silver were its shrouds, its masts were crowned with jewels like stars. In the Lay of Eärendil is many a thing sung of his adventures in the deep and in lands untrodden, and in many seas and many isles. He was blown far to the South. There in the South he defeated the darkness, and light came to many regions which had yet long been hid. He escaped eastward. Fire mountains he saw and Ents he encountered. But he went back westward, while Elwing sat sorrowing at home.
VE-11: Posted by Maedhros:
Quote:
To me a messenger that was dispatched by Turgon could not reach the Enchanted Isles because of the Doom of the Valar. That element for me disqualifies him, so I would be against including him in here. Eärendil could only reach the West because he had the Silmaril and Tuor and Idril had the blessing of Ulmo.
Aren't the enchanted Ilse exactly one of the ways by which the cruse of the Noldor worked? And to what other isles did Vornwë refer here (UT):
Quote:
But the Great Sea is terrible, Tuor son of Huor; and it hates the Noldor, for it works the Doom of the Valar. Worse things it holds than to sink into the abyss and so perish: loathing, and loneliness, and madness; terror of wind and tumult, and silence and shadows where all hope is lost and all living shapes pass away. And many shores evil and strange it washes, and many islands of danger and fear infest it. I will not darken your heart son of Middle-earth, with the tale of my labour seven years in the Great Sea from the North even into the South, but never to the West. For that is shut against us.
VE-21: Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
The Second Prophecy of Mandos is still a major unresolved issue. Maybe we should revive the old thread we had on it.
It seems that this is the last great issue in this chapter. I will look for that thread and bring it up to attention again.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote