View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 11:51 AM   #199
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

After several hours of steady marching, Bullroarer finally called a halt so the hobbits could rest by the side of the road. "We'll still need to post guards here. Autumn and Olo, could you take the first watch? But before you go, I've got something to share with everyone."

"Olo and I have been discussing how we can improve our odds against a warg attack. The main thing is to stick together, not to have anyone get separated. So, to make sure we do that, and to coordinate our attack, we're going to organize into small bands. I want you to remain in these groups on the road and even tonight after we reach our campsite."

"Every group will have one or two bowmen, with the rest carrying torches or other weapons. Now, everyone listen up, and pay attention to how you're assigned."

"Carl, can you lead Lotho and Daffodyl? Robin, you're in charge of Dinodas and Celendine. Autumn, you take Daisy, Gaddy, and Hal. I'll be working with Olo."

Bullroarer signalled to Autumn and Olo that they should climb up one of the nearby hillsides and have a thorough look around the countryside. "And let me know if you see anything suspicious," he added.

Branda shifted nervously from foot to foot, wondering why his name had been conspicuously left off the list. Giles looked puzzled, and Tomba darted forward, demanding, "What about me? You didn't say anything."

Bullroarer put his hand up to his forehead. He had so many things on his mind right now. "Sorry, Olo and I did discuss that," His eyes skirted over the three remaining hobbits, until they finally came to rest on Tomba.

"Tomba, if I had my way, you'd never be fighting wargs. You're the smallest and youngest here. But I don't have the luxury of pulling you out completely. I want the three of you to stick together at the rear. Try to scare off anything that gets through, but don't be heroes or advance to the front."

"That's it?" questioned Branda, with obvious irritation in his voice.

"No, that's not it. The real reason I want you back there is to keep an eye if anyone goes down. If they're hurt, I'm counting on you and Tomba to drag them out of there, and bring them back to the wagon to be tended. If we had done that before, ...." His voice trailed off.

Bullroarer sighed and continued, "Branda, you're the best healer we have. I need that even more than your fighting skills."

Giles politely interrupted, "Then what should I do? If they end up helping the wounded, I mean?"

"Giles, you can go forward and join another group, or stay back and try and guard them from attack. My worst nightmare is to have a warg charging while Branda is trying to tend someone who's injured."

Tomba kicked a stone in the dirt and growled, "I wish I was older."

"Well, you're not yet, lad, so just hang on. And Branda, what do you say?"

Branda looked back at Bullroarer, wondering if he was being punished for acting so foolishly when they'd discovered the Ranger hide-out. "I don't like it," he muttered under his breath.

"Well, like it or not, there it is. I'm responsible for you, and I'll use my resources the best I can so we'll all survive. Now, get yourself a bite to eat, since I'd like you and Olo to take the second watch on that hill and relieve the others."

Branda scowled again, but said nothing as he wrenched a lump of hard bread out of his pack and began gnawing at it.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]