View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #151
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Morwen
I have... and I have not found what you ask about.
It seems that this issue ... and sadly most issues debated on the net ... come down to a definition of terms and how well someone knows the tricks and devices of debate.

Here is the passage from the oft-quoted letter to Waldman.

Quote:
I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama. "
It clearly does not say "new books, novellas or short stories of Middle-earth". But it does clearly indicate that the great tales are not all drawn out in fullness. It clearly says that other minds and hands can link them to the whole and that paint, music and drama can be employed as tools to do this.

JRRT does not say "other minds and hands of my choice and my choice only". He does not say "and all these creations should be kept private and strictly for the enjoyment of the individual creator".

It would seem to me that there is a lot of room here to draw the conclusion here that JRRT welcomed others to add to at least the "sketched" portions of his created world using at least the devices mentioned.

So now we come to the issue of what constitutes DRAMA or MUSIC. Dictionaries at the ready anyone?

Last edited by Sauron the White; 06-12-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote