View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #211
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narika and Ayar

Narika sighed and stared bleakly over at the bed on which Ayar lay sleeping. Even from this distance, she could hear her mother's breath come in short, ragged gasps. Although Ayar was conscious and in considerably less pain than before, she still looked like a woman burdened with heavy illness, a sickness that would likely claim her life despite all their efforts at remedies and potions.

Narika had salvaged only a few meager belongings from the fire. These had been brought over to Thorn's where she and her mother had been invited to stay until enough skins could be collected to sew a new tent of their own. Thorn had gathered his own family's bedrolls, crowding them together inside the front chamber and leaving the rear one completely empty to accomodate the two women with ample privacy and space.

Still, Narika could not help but feel some discomfort living in the same household with Yalisha. Yalisha had been strictly polite and reserved and had given her no reason to complain. Narika sternly reminded herself to keep her personal feelings under control. With Ayar still too sick to resume leadership of the Eagles, she would have to fill that role, and it would not do to let personal feelings come between her and any of the maenwaith who were members of the clan.

Outside she could hear the usual noises of the camp at mid-morning: children scampering about and playing, mixed in with the bleating of a few stray goats and the hooves of the outriders' mounts as they rode out to check the flocks. Narika rose and walked over to the flap of the tent, staring out across the compound. How could things appear so normal to the eye with everything that had happened in the past few days? Her thoughts strayed back to the two strangers who had approached the encampment the day before. Her natural instinct had been to order them to leave. The old one claimed to be helping her mother, and apparently Ayar had also sensed that in his intentions. But Narika was not so sure. She had a stiff mistrust of strangers. Perhaps, her mother's wakening was the result of her own ministrations combined with Yalisha's herbs, and the two strangers had taken advantage of the situation. This outlander Rôg seemed extremely reluctant to speak about his clan. Once or twice, Thorn had tried to question him, but Rôg had adroitly channelled the discussion in other directions. Perhaps she should go and question him herself, or perhaps she should just toss both the men into the desert without their camel and supplies. If only her sister was here to discuss these things.

In the midst of these reflections, Narika heard a soft voice call out asking for a cup of water. She hurried over to her mother's side and offered her a drink. Ayar's face looked flushed and wan, her eyes gleeming bright with fever. But she had no trouble thinking or speaking clearly.

"You must not worry so, Little Bird," her mother intoned. "It will all work out. I can see mistrust of these strangers written in your face."

"But why are they here? For what purpose have them come? The young one especially. In times like these, I scarcely know who is friend or foe."

"Perhaps so. But those two are no enemy."

Narika shook her head insistently, "Still, I want no more outlanders arriving here. We cannot trust anyone outside the clan." What she did not say out loud was that she was even having doubts about the loyalties of those actually within the clan.

"Wish what you will, Little Bird. There are events we control, and those we don't. And sometimes what we most fear and dislike turns out to be the means of our saving. But, come now," Ayar softly laughed. "Let us speak of those things we can control. There is something I wish you to do for me."

Narika eagerly nodded her head and responded, "Yes, whatever I can."

"Good! I will not be here long with the clan..."

"Mother, you mustn't say that!"

"No, Narika, we must speak the truth. I am ill, very ill. The old man knew what he was saying. But even before that, I could sense my time had come, even as I wandered down strange paths, locked inside my own mind, while the poison raged within my body. It is almost time for me to fly free, to throw off my old form and take on another, more beautiful and freer than what came before. Perhaps someday even to fly with the Great Eagles." Ayar glanced out the open tent flap and caught a glimpse of the skies beyond. " I am not afraid, and neither should you be."

The younger woman opened her mouth as if to protest but Ayar raised a finger and pressed it against her daughter's lips. "None of that now. Rather I have a favor to ask. Ever since you and Thorn clasped hands in front of the elders and spoke your intentions, I have been waiting for the moment when you two would join in front of the clan. Even if I had not fallen sick, I would have wanted that to happen. And I would still dearly wish that to happen while I am still here to see that."

"Your sister should return within a few days. Thorn tells me he left a message with her before leaving the city. I want to see you wed and be certain that the leadership of the clan has come to good hands. Go and speak with your intended. See if he is willing to go to the elders and make arrangements to begin the ceremony as soon as Ráma returns."

"As to the other, the business of these strangers, and the fears you have.... On this too, wait till your sister returns." Ayar looked her daughter squarely in the eye. "I have asked the elders that you and Thorn lead the clan jointly because you have a quiet, steady hand. I am well content with that decision. But your sister has other gifts, gifts that go back to a distant age when at least some of our people cooperated with other free folk to stand against the shadow. As long as Ráma is here, you must take time to listen to her advice. The final choice on clan matters belongs to you and Thorn, but promise me that you will heed her counsel and weigh it in the scale."

Narika sadly nodded her head, "I will speak with Thorn, and dwell on what you have said."

With that, Ayar fell back onto her pillows exhausted, and was soon deep in sleep.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-24-2004 at 12:36 PM.