View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #610
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Ravion

Ravion kept his hand on Mellonin's arm for perhaps a moment too long. His calloused fingers against her smooth skin, his fire-warmed hands against her cool arm...he did not want the contact to end. But finally the comfortable moment had become awkward, and he withdrew his hand.

"No one could stop him, Mellonin. He did what he had to do, what he could do." He almost said what any of us would have done, but that would have been a lie. He had not moved. He had not made any sacrifice, had not made any attempt to make a sacrifice like Raefindan's. "I have no doubt that he is well. Raefindan can fend for himself."

"But the swamp-elf--" Mellonin protested.

Ravion cut her off. "Raefindan knows what he is doing. We must not diminish his sacrifice by assuming that he did it blindly."

"But if he did...?" Mellonin asked quietly. Her dark eyes were somber and sad and clouded with worry. She broke eye contact with Ravion and looked at the ground.

His heart ached inside him, and he reached out to her. Again he touched her arm, but simply lay his hand on it, rather than taking hold of her. She looked up at him, her expression unreadable--at least to him. "This is a familiar promise," he said with a small, wry smile. "But if it is in my power, I will find Raefindan." He tilted his head slightly to the side. "It pains me to see you like this, Mellonin. I ache to see you so unhappy."