View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Once again Estelyn, a good introduction to the discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Imrahil plays a small yet vital role again - how do we account for his position that makes him a candidate for temporary ruler?
You know, at this point in the story I wasn't wondering why Imrahil was given command. I wondered on what point of law or legal right Gandalf could take that decision upon himself to give a military command. What authority does Gandalf have to assign Imrahil the command?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn
What role did the palantír play in all of this? Do you think Denethor had the right to use it?
The point which I find absolutely fascinating here is the suggestion that the palantir survives the pyre of Denethor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
Casting the pieces into the blaze he bowed and laid himself on the table, clasping the palantir with both hands upon his breast. And it was said that ever after, if any man looked in that Stone, unless he had great strength of will to turn it to other purpose, he saw only two aged hands withering in flame.
What grounds for an RPG, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn
The chapter ends with a note on the weather - the combination of fire and rain results in smoke. Do you see any significance in that?
Habeus Rex?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-25-2005 at 06:08 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote