View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #21
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaelin
Okay, to get back on topic: I have always thought that Gandalf was able to take up authority in Gondor after the battle of Pelenor Fields simply because he was on the spot and started taking care of things that needed to done, starting with sending Faramir to the Houses of Healing. And really, there aren't any other candidates available right after the battle: Denethor, dead; Faramir, at death's door; Prince Imrahil, busy on the battlefield plus he's not actually Gondorian -- he's part of the Steward's family by marriage; Aragorn, not willing to take on the leadership of the city officially; Eomer, certainly not Gondorian and busy with his own people. Of course, Gandalf isn't Gondorian either, but he is at least sane, healthy and not as tired as the rest of the leadership is after fighting for most of the last 24 hours.

As Gandalf isn't making a bid for permanent power and is trying to get things under control, why not let him run things for awhile?
I'm not challenging Gandalf's authority; I'm not saying he shouldn't 'run things for awhile'. I am rather more interested in how Tolkien depicts the development of Gandalf's authority.

For the record, the scene I referred to between Imrahil and Gandalf occurs before Denethor's death. Imrahil does not know what occurs in the dark back room of the Steward's rule. While we readers thoroughly no doubt concur with Gandalf doing something, how is it that Tolkien has characters, who are not privy to our knowledge courtesy the narration's omniscience, submit to Gandalf?

What makes intellectual domination possible? What forces spark Imrahil's imagination and those of others to submit to Gandalf's authority? Is it simply a matter of 'weaker' characters submitting to someone who acts and speaks as if he knows what's going on? It is a will to find some order in the chaos?

I suppose I am asking because I am very intrigued by the differences between Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White. We know, we are told, that Gandalf has been given carte blanche to deploy all his powers after he returns from his fight with the balrog. But what does this mean? Can he use his words and eloquence the way Saruman does? So how do those who willingly submit know that he is right? How is his use of his powers different from the way that, say, Saruman deployed his abilities? Is it simply that by definition Gandalf is one of the good guys and so he can establish his dominion--I won't say domination--without question? Or does the side of good use different strategies to produce choice among followers?

This question no doubt requires reference to far more than this scene in this chapter, but I find it interesting. In part, it is answered by the way Gandalf proceeds in "The Last Debate", but that occurs after this scene with Imrahil.