Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Question

Reasons for the Fight of the Outlaws in Menegroth

From the Quenta
Quote:
And the curse came upon the possessors in this wise. Each one of Húrin's company died or was slain in quarrels upon the road;
From the Tale of the Nauglafring
Quote:
Now were the Elves of the wood in turn displeased, who long had stood nigh gazing on the gold; but the wild folk did as they were bid, and yet more, for some went into the hoard twice and thrice, and angry cries were raised in that hall. Then would the woodland Elves hinder them of their thieving, and a great dissension arose, so that though the king would stay them none heeded him. Then did those outlaws being fierce and fearless folk draw swords and deal blows about them, so that soon there was a great fight even upon the steps of the high-seat of the king. Doughty were those outlaws and great wielders of sword and axe from their warfare with Orcs, so that many were slain ere the king, seeing that peace and pardon might no longer be, summoned a host of his warriors, and those outlaws being wildered with the stronger magics of the king and confused in the dark ways of the halls of Thingol were all slain fighting bitterly; but the king's hall ran with gore, and the gold that lay before his throne,' scattered and spurned by trampling feet, was drenched with blood. Thus did the curse of Mîm the Dwarf begin its course; and yet another sorrow sown by the Noldor of old in Valinor was come to fruit.
As we can see, in both cases, the outlaws die by cause of the curse of the Gold. If we keep their faith uncertain, we move IMO, away from the core of the Story. And it is very probable that the outlaws would fight for the treasure that they had just brought from Nargothrond. Of course one could argue too that outlaws would avoid a fight when they are outnumbered.

Of course we have CT comments from the Tale of Years
Quote:
There were very evident problems with the old story. Had he ever turned to it again, my father would undoubtedly have found some solution other than that in the Quenta to the question, How was the treasure of Nargothrond brought to Doriath? There, the curse that Mîm laid upon the gold at his death 'came upon the possessors in this wise. Each one of Húrin's company died or was slain in quarrels upon the road; but Húrin went unto Thingol and sought his aid, and the folk of Thingol bore the treasure to the Thousand Caves.' As I said in IV.188, 'it ruins the gesture, if Húrin must get the king himself to send for the gold with which he is then to be humiliated'. It seems to me most likely (but this is mere speculation) that my father would have reintroduced the outlaws from the old Tales (11.113-15,222-3) as the bearers of the treasure (though not the fierce battle between them and the Elves of the Thousand Caves): in the scrappy writings at the end of The Wanderings of Húrin Asgon and his companions reappear after the disaster in Brethil and go with Húrin to Nargothrond (pp. 306-7).
Now CT believes that as we have done, we have reintroduced the outlaws in the tale, but if they were not killed either in Nargothrond or while bearing the treausure, would they have left the halls of Thingol without a fight. Would they then, have been free of the curse of Mîm.

I have searched in the Tale of Years for some indication about the outlaws but I have not found anyone in there.

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: Maédhros ]

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: Maédhros ]