View Single Post
Old 03-20-2004, 09:31 PM   #15
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Quote:
Is it impossible to salvage the revised addition of Finarfin son of Finwë leading the Noldor? For example:
I'm not sure about that. From the Later Quentas
Quote:
§6 'Ingwiel son of Ingwë was their chief': observing the apparent error, in that Ingwiel appears to be named the leader of the Noldor (see V.334, §6), my father changed this to 'Finarphin son of Finwë': see IV.196, second footnote. In the typescript he let the passage stand, but changed Ingwiel to Ingwion (and also 'Light-elves' to 'Fair-elves', see X.168, 180).
This is why I would be against such a change. It may have been a slip by JRRT but if he let that passage stand, I think that it should stay.
This change was the reason that I proposed that we should change all of the references of the Light-elves to Fair elves but I missed something that comes next:
Quote:
Later Quentas
§15 'the Light-elves of Valinor' > 'the Light-elves in Valinor'
Since JRRT left the references to the Light-elves they should definitely stay. Regarding the Quendi, I think that Findegil is probably correct is stating that if we changed it it would only be for clarification.

Quote:
Maybe this all is a bit artifical, but it works out. The addition in VE-10 is risky, since we know nothing about what Gil-Galad did during the attack. But if we are going to introduce him at the havens that was the least risky way I could think of.
I don't see it as that risky. If we are to accept that Gil-Galad was in the Mouths of Sirion and not in Valar, it sounds very plausible. The Havens thing with Gil-Galad was introduced because of a previous note by JRRT that was discarded, so essentially we don't have hard facts about his status during the attacks of the Fëanorians.
Quote:
In addition we must make clear that there were groups of people at the Havens all of which had their own leader, but that Gil-Galad was their overlord as King of the Noldor in exile.
I like that additon of Lothrim in there.
Quote:
I skipt the passage of Gil-Galads apperence. If we will use the information about his mother somewere else (the Chapter of Túrin in Nargothrond was suggested and I like to suggest "Of Beleriand and its Realms"), we should also introduce his apperence there.
Merging both parragraphs seems fine to me. The Gil-Galad parragraph in itself was fine but with the rest of the text it looked odd to me. Moving the part of Gil-Galad being king in there seems much better and skipping the description of his appearance to an earlier chapter is ok to me.