View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 AM   #26
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just an after thought: Seeing that we have now Andróg two times heald from deadly wounds of arrows by Beleg this seems a bit strange. If I were completlly free to deal with the text my edditng would run in this line:
- Andróg would curse Mîm to dy with an arrow in his throath.
- Andróg would only be wounded at the battle of Amon Ruð, and then heald by Beleg.
- Andróg would be a member of Húrins band when he comes to Nargothrond:
Quote:
§276 (§4d) TT Then {Úrin}[Húrin] wavered, but his men were wroth at that, so that he bid them seize it all, and Mîm stood by and watched, and he broke forth into terrible and evil curses.
§277 (§5) TT Thereat did {Úrin}[Húrin] smite him, saying: ‘We came but to take what was not thine - now for thy evil words we will take what is thine as well, even thy life.{'}> RD-EX-11.5 <Sil77 And{and} not unknown is it to me by whom the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin was betrayed.'>
§278 (§6) <TT But Mîm dying said unto {Úrin}[Húrin]: ‘Now Elves and Men shall rue this deed, and because of the death of Mîm the dwarf shall death follow this gold so long as it remain on Earth, and a like fate shall every part and portion share with the whole.’ And {Úrin}[Húrin] shuddered, but his folk laughed{.}>RD-EX-11.51<editorial bridge and one among them was Andróg. And Mîm reconising him saw that Beleg><Ap Narn had thus {"}undone{"} his curse upon Andróg. ‘It will bite again,’ he said.><editorial bridge But it is sung that
><Lay of the Children of Húrin {The}the dawn over {Doriath}[Narog] __ dimly kindled {695}
saw {Blodrin Bor's son}[Mîm the petty-dwarf] __ by a beech standing
with throat thriléd __ by a thrusting arrow,
whose shaven shaft, __ shod with {poison}[iron],
and feather-wingéd, __ was fast in the tree. [5]
He bargained the blood __ of {his brothers}Túrin's band for gold: {700}
this his meed meted - __ in the mirk at {random}[Narog]
by {an orc-}[Andróg's ]arrow __ his {oath}[curse] came home.>
§279 (§8) RD-SL-05 {And the curse came upon the possessors in this wise. Each one of Húrin's company died or was slain in quarrels upon the road; but Húrin went unto Thingol and sought his aid, and the folk of Thingol bore the treasure to the Thousand Caves.}<TT Now {Úrin}[Húrin] caused his followers to bear this gold to the halls of {Tinwelint}[Thingol], ...
But we are not free to use the text and the ideas in it as free as that I deem.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote