Thread: LotR2-TTT_Seq23
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The Nazgul being at Osgiliath does make sense though, as they are Saurons most feared servants, and it certainly makes the job of the orcs easier when their enemies are cowering in fear due to the screeches of the Wraiths.

Why does the Nazgul stop going for Frodo when the Ring is removed from right in front of it? Precisely because it is removed. The Nazgul cannot see in the real world remember, but only the wraith world, that's why we see them sniffing to begin with, they can't see it but they can sense it. When Sam tackles Frodo they fall too far away for the Nazgul to get a clear sense, and Frodo has now forgotten about the Ring.

As to Faramir's comment about 'understanding each other', I'm not sure of it's meaning either. I suppose it could mean that in overhearing Sam's speech he has realised that the hobbits really are completely selfless, and that destroying the Ring really is the only option. And he finally shows his true colours, or quality, it's nice to see Book Faramir make an appearance.

I love that we see some emotion from Gollum there, where he is actually moved by what Sam says. It reminds me of the bit in the books where he crouches by Frodo, looking like an old hobbit, but this time it is Faramir and not Sam that causes that part of him to be lost forever.

While some of this scene is a little contrived, I am a sucker for motivational speeches myself, and love it from Sam knocking Frodo down onward.