View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Aragorn could have made the case that he was putting the fate of the quest in great peril
Aragorn already made the case that he himself had already put them all in great peril and Gandalf did not even use it against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR, bk. 2, ch. 4
You followed my lead almost to disaster in the snow, and have said no word of blame.
Recall what happened so that debate was halted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn cried out in dismay.
The Wargs have come west of the Mountains!
So Gandalf's argument was already coming to pass. They should not go on longer watched roads. Already they were set upon and they were not even making for the Gap of Rohan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf to the Company
The hunt is up! Even if we live to see the dawn, who now will wish to journey south by night with the wild wolves on his tail?
Wolves, orcs, birds watching the land, and even Saruman was out and about. So imagine that they are beset in the south by Orcs and Wargs and out comes Saruman as he did before when Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas were in the south searching for Merry and Pippin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT, Bk. 3, chs. 2, 5
Gimli looked up, and there just on the edge of the firelight stood an old bent man, leaning on a staff, and wrapped in a great cloak; his wide-brimmed hat was pulled down over his eyes. <...> You certainly did not see me <...> therefore I must guess that you saw Saruman.
Saruman has armies and is himself a Maia as Gandalf noted, "reckoned as a lord and captain Saruman has grown very strong." [TTT, ch. 5, p. 119] Should they make south, as Boromir wished, they would not only lengthen their journey and have greater preparations made for their capture, but they would already be on the run from the Enemy by night and by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
Moria was never going to be the safest option in any case
If you choose to assume the Balrog and his band of Orcs are a greater threat than Saruman and his armies who're looking for the Ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
They could have called on the help of the Eagles for safe passage to Lorien
So far as I know the Eagles were not simply called upon to do Gandalf or anyone else's bidding.