Thread: The Dunlendings
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

At the risk of touching on a potentially touchy subject, as both a 'fan' of the Dunlendings and an avid Gaelophile myself, I had to reply to this thread.
Quote:
I'm sure that someone is going to disagree with me and state the many indescressions of these people ie the Oathbreakers, the invasion during the Long Winter and helping Saruman
To those that would bring these up as arguments against the inhabitants of Dunland, keep in mind that this is a people oppressed, at least from their viewpoint. The Irish-Dunlending comparison is very fitting. Consider the atrocities carried out against the common people of Ireland because of their adherence to their own culture and beliefs, all in the name of 'higher culture'. While we are not told much regarding the Dunlendings, it is easy to picture them in much the same situation. Irish Republicans have acted in concert with some very unsavory parties as the only way they knew of fighting the invader. The same could apply to the alliance of Dunland with Saruman.
So - Dimaldeon, I'm with you on this one - even if you're on the wrong island. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
-Tha mi an't Albannaich gu chul.