Thread: The Dunlendings
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 09:26 PM   #8
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I could feel a bit sorry for the Dunlendings, yes. The Rohirrim did take over their land, and they were disillusioned.

That's interesting about the "half-orc" theory" of the "Squint-eyed Southerner." Did we ever learn more about him?

I'm going to twist the topic a little bit just to offer an opinion... Who else out there thinks that Gríma called Wormtongue has got rather a bit of Dunlendish blood in him? Since he's described as "once a man of Rohan" we can probably assume that he's at least part Rohirric and not just some baddie wandering around looking for old kings to talk to. And yet he is dark-haired, small, and pale as opposed to the tall blonde and generally Nordic-looking people of Rohan.

Then again, it could be discerned from the name of Eowyn's grandmother Morwen (dark maiden) that occasionally a dark-haired one popped up. However, she was from Lossarnach at the White Mountains, which used to be a territory of Gondor... and the Gondorians (at least, as we can tell from Denethor and his sons) were dark of hair. So perhap that's not a valid argument at all!

Very roundabout, I know, but it definitely seems to me that Gríma is partially Dunlendish, which could also explain why he's so bitter towards his own people of Rohan. Thoughts? Arguments?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote