View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #249
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The track begins with Galway on the tin whistle with the low strings on a pedal tone. Then the music moves into something which hints at the Shire theme; at 0:51 we hear a brief bit of the Fellowship theme mixed in with the Havens music. The sound here is gentle but sorrowful, which reminds me of the tranquil Sea they stand by. Also, I'm pretty sure I hear a harp in there somewhere, which gives it an almost magical feel.

At 2:19, the music is the same as that of the Breaking of the Fellowship and Sam's promise not to leave Frodo. Here we have another breaking, this time of the hobbits' own group, and Sam can't keep that promise anymore.

At 3:22, the Shire theme comes in, with the whistle once more. This develops until 4:40, at which point the music of the Havens/Into the West takes over. Beginning at 5:12, the choir sings:

Quote:
Dartha o nas a thar emyn
Men 'wain egor annon thurin
Ah ae anann erphennin hain
Na vedui cenithon aur wain
I badathon raid yriel
Amrûn n'Anor, Annûn n'Ithil.

Still round a corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.
Since it is sung so quietly, it's difficult to hear how much is sung. But it makes me very, very happy that it's in there because I love that poem ever so much.

By the way, great responses last time, everyone. It's amazing how much a single track of music can affect us so strongly.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote