View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #94
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Shield Fangorn at Entwash; Mellon-Amroth Dec 13

Early the next morning, Amroth rolled out of his blanket, still strangely weary and stiff. He shook out the cloak and put it on, rolled the blanket and saddled Echo. He had been tempted more than once to be rid of the saddle, but then there would have been nothing to attach the pack to. He rolled the blanket and tied it behind the saddle. Blankets and cloaks were well enough, but a little Miruvor would have been better.

He seemed to be feeling much stiffer than he could ever remember. Did he remember any tales of an elf waking from sleep so weary? Certainly not in the shadow of such a living wood as Fangorn. His body felt as weary as his soul and his heart.

Enough, he rebuked himself. Despair and resolve are no kinsmen.

"Did you not rest well?" asked Bellyn.

"No, Lady, " was the reply.

After a quick and quiet breakfast they mounted and rode again. "Amroth, it is your turn to sing," said Ędegard.

"Perhaps I should not open the morning with such a night pursuing me," Amroth deferred.

Liornung disagreed, gently encouraging him. "We have all had our turn. Singing will cheer you as it did yesterday. What could be more delightful than your songs? Come, begin. "

"You may decide otherwise. But as you wish, " said Amroth. He delayed a bit longer, and then sang barely above a murmur. The others rode closer to hear.

Arms of pearl and sunlit hair
Surround me as I swim
Sea-grey eyes under the sky
Still drown me as I dream

Your golden shadow round me twines
I weep into your hair
Deeper I fall, louder I call
The abyss echoes my wail

Embrace of bliss, sweet arms I miss
In the surrounding blackness
In coldness sink, darkness I drink
Cascading into madness

All breath is banned; I find no hand,
No voice to bring me healing
No face behold, but water cold
And last dim light receeding

Despair deep within me seeps
My soul and heart are wasted
Restore my mind, and let me find
Your memory unfaded

Come and find me, reach for me
And as you once did, hold me
Awaken me from deadly dream
And shine your eyes upon me.

When his song finished, he turned his head, and bent his thoughts into the forest.

Last edited by mark12_30; 10-18-2004 at 09:15 PM. Reason: pesky elven hair colors!