View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 04:55 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Bird, your point about dogs and men makes me smile. Once I would have hollered amen... however, I have at last found a man who outlasted a dog. Once you find a good one...

Nicotania? Well, yes, I know... the problem with that idea is, my husband quit smoking in order to marry me; he's stayed clean for lo these fourteen years; and in honor of his dedication, I told myself that nicotania would never grow in my gardens. So I'm afraid that I must find other hobbitty flowers to plant.

Besides-- Bolco doesn't smoke; neither does Lindo. I suppose given the opportunity, Gamba would. Rascal!

Rae, don't let the peanut gallery get you down. Bring your elvish bow and arrow next time (I'm sure CJ has one that he'll let you borrow!) and bring home dinner in addition to fertilizer. Go Rae! And if you wear your green cloak inside out it's perfect camo.

About your tulips: I've become a real fan of wire mesh cages around the bulbs. It seems strange, I'll admit, to imprison your bulbs underground. However, the absence of chemicals is very pleasant indeed. And I have a lovely display of crocuses this year. Last year I had NONE (down from nearly a thousand.) So wire mesh is good. Works for any varmint except deer (and they have the above-ground, black plastic mesh for that. I use that too.)

Lush, gardeners who live in the woods like I do, can have their cake and eat it too; I have several little orderly gardens, and just beyond them, the wilderness takes over. No brambles, thank God; but such an abundance of blueberry and huckleberry (that's whortleberry to you brits) and wild mountain laurel-- and yes, little tiny groves of young beech-- as to sooth the soul and cheer the heart, and invigorate the lungs, and set the feet to wandering-- my feet, and, unfortunately, my dogs'...
(Back on the ties you go, you vagrants, before I get the "what happened to my catfood" phonecalls from all the neighbors...)

I think this year I will start taking pictures of the gardens again.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]