View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
These books, to engender such devotion, must strike some chord beyond the usual fantasy aspect, touching one's convictions and observations of the world. We're not exactly talking Alice In Wonderland here. Isn't Tolkien's ability to present a fantasy realm that seems to have such parallels with the "real" one thing that makes his stories so extraordinary?
Ohh! What pray tell brings on this snarky reference to Alice in Wonderland?

Alice has a huge fandom, engaged with many, many understandings and re-interpretations. For those readers, it strikes chords deeply relevant to their lives today. It "works" in a different direction than Tolkien's influence in that it does not have a reminiscence of a primal past, but for her readers her adventures have a profound sense of significance that involves the contemplation of their lives today.

I'm not sure that it is so easy to highlight Tolkien's effects as a storyteller by dismissing or denying the effects of other writers.

Or perhaps I'm missing or misunderstanding your comparison, Inzil? If so, sorry.