Thread: Galadriel's Ban
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Galadriel's Ban

I was looking over the front page of the Barrow-Downs and it had the history of Galadriel. Anyway, something caught my eye and I decided I was unsure as to the authenticity of what was stated. Basically, it said that at the end of the First Age, Galadriel was forbidden to return to Valinor being the last of the Noldorin leaders alive. Where does it say this and is it Galadriel saying it herself, or is this a pronouncement of the Valar or is this just stated by an omniscient narrator at some part?

And if it was Galadriel who said this (and not directly from the Valar or a Tolkien as he is narrating the story) then I think that Galadriel must have been mistaken. This side story draws many similarities to Dr. Faustus in that both do something wrong and then believe that they can't be saved.

And really if you think about it, why would Galadriel's punishment have been worse than anyone else's? She did not take part in the kinslaying, and in different versions of her story left by completely different means and for other reasons than many of the Noldor.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote