View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #72
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Faramir knows what's right, morally, ethically, & he will do it - or die trying, because that's actually more important than achieving 'victory' in this world.
Excellent illustration, davem! I certainly agree with you about Faramir, and I think the test of this ideal within him (here's the psychological depth of Faramir or part of it, at least, drawn through internal struggle) arises when he is in Denethor's presence. He is obviously looking for approval from Denethor when he returns to Minas Tirith the first time in ROTK. He openly asks for approval of his actions and questions Denethor as to what he would have had him do. The struggle appears to be drawn in Faramir's desire to please his father and his knowledge that Gandalf's philosophy and views on the disposition of the Ring are in fact more in keeping with his own internalized moral code. To me, this is an external method of presenting what Aiwendil calls the "implied psychological depth" of the character without stopping to analyze it explicitly. It helps the pace of the story at this point, as the siege of Minas Tirith comes on quickly after Faramir's departure and beset return. It creates a palpable tension, as felt through Pippin's experience, between Denethor, his son, and Gandalf, suggesting not only a depth of struggle but also a history. It becomes obvious which way Faramir's inner thoughts and ideals are bent and also has the dual effect of resonating within Pippin, creating a tiny internal "Faramir" within Pippin, so to speak. (This ends up becoming manifest after the War too, with his heir being named after Faramir, but I digress...forgive me!). I hope I made an appropriate point, and I must say the discussion is quite an enjoyable one. My thanks to all involved! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote