View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 10:05 PM   #84
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rianna smiled as she was handed a glass of wine. The scents of the wondrous foreign spices filled the air, and the music of the Glasshammer minstrels started a new, fast-paced and merry song. Rianna sang once she learned the chorus, delight and joy filling the air around the Seventh Star as travelers chimed in. Celebrating Yule had always been Rianna’s favorite thing of the year.

Rianna’s eyes lit up suddenly as she remembered something. She rummaged through her pack trying to find something, and when her hand found it she pulled it out with a slight ‘Aha!’ escaping from her lips. Rianna found a wooden stool by the bar and stepped up on it. She cleared her throat, and called out in a loud voice as soon as the Glasshammer musicians were done with the song:

“A gift from the northlands, up ways from Erebor and Dale, I bring with me,” Rianna called, holding up a small green plant with tiny pale-yellow flowers and wax-white berries; “ a plant that we called Mistletoe! ‘Twas said in times of old that it was the plant of Peace and Friendship. If foes met under a tree with Mistletoe, they would lower their weapons and call a truce for the day. If friends alike met under this plant, they considered their friendship blessed with luck. Yes, it’s small, but it is my gift to you fine folk at the Seventh Star!”

Rianna reached up to the ceiling and positioned the plant under a slightly loose nail. She smiled and jumped down from the stool and looked at the plant hanging slightly lopsided.

“Happy and Merry Yule.” Rianna called to the people at the Seventh Star.