View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 08:03 AM   #289
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Thorn

It had been a long night, and tiring. Ráma had, as tradition dictated, set a vessel of water, at the door of the tent, so Ayar could find water should she require it on her last journey. And Thorn now sat, his back to a tent pole watching Narika and his mother as they quietly went through bags and boxes, gathering the things needed for the funeral rites. He was aware of numbness, a unexpected feeling, as if the foundation under him had bee suddenly whisked away and he now stood upon uneven ground. Even the encampment seemed slightly different to him now, leaderless. It was an unsettlingly familiar perception, one that had not descended on him since the head of his own family had died.

Yalisha, noticing him awake, came over to her brother and crouching down, looked into his face. “Thorn, try to sleep,” she counseled. “You have much you will have to do today, and need to find rest now, before the others arrive, and the elders share their decision.”

Her face was sincere, and Thorn wished he could follow her advice, but he could not. Sleep had eluded him. He glanced aside to the body of Ayar, the color gone from her flesh. She was so still now, so unlike herself. “I can not sleep peacefully.” He said turning back to his sister. “And neither can I ignore what has happened to the very heart of our people, in our own encampment. It was not her choosing to leave us, sister, but she has been ushered out of our presence at the orders of woman who would call herself the leader of us all.”

You are right, brother. But still, though it has come to this point too soon, Ayar had confidence in us. Do not forget that. In her wisdom, she was not alarmed by this sudden departure, for her daughters are grown now and her people also mature. Had she not taken great pains to teach us to rely on ourselves? We are strong, Thorn. Do not be troubled, we will to resist the Wyrm, and will not be cowed into submission to her will.”

Thorn smiled weakly at his sister, “Yes, we are strong, Yalisha, but it is not enough. But just as this poison entered the Ayar’s body at one small point and overcome her strength, so I’m am worried that there is a poison at work among us. When I was in Umbar and learned that some plot was planned against us I flew to warn our people, only to find that I had arrived too late. No assassin could have come across our encampment so fast. Even if it had been one of the maenwaith, he could not have found us, a small people in this vast country.” He averted his eyes. “At first I thought perhaps one of the newcomers may have something to do with this, but now I have come to feel one of our own people has betrayed us.”

“Narayad?” Yalisha whispered softly, studying her brother’s face..

“Yes, he would seem be the likely one, and as an outrider, could easily pass information. But he would not do this, and has no love for the Wyrma or her ways. But still I have asked that he leave, for his own good as well as the clan’s. We will see what happens after that. But we must be vigilant. Wyrma has struck us a blow, and we do not know if she might have other plans underway against us.”

“She has struck a heavy blow, but she has not crippled us. Do not be downcast, Thorn, you are tired. If there is a poison among us, it need not be lethal. We can overcome it. But now rest, so that you might have strength to help both Narika and your people.”

“I will be strong for Narika and the people, sister,” Thorn said rising from the dark corner. “But do not ask me to sleep.” Walking away from her and toward the tent opening, he stopped at his mother’s side. “I am going to see to the brier,” he told her. “Send for me if you see that Narika or Ráma are dispirited, and I will return immediately.” Shooting a quick glance at Yalisha, he lifted the tent flap and was gone.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 09-22-2004 at 10:47 AM.