View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 08:01 AM   #326
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The door of the Seventh Star blew open and Fordim staggered in, his eyes red and rimmed with fatigue, his shoulders drooping with exertion. His untidy hair and unshaven face reminded several there of the Rangers of the North, who are not known for their cleanliness. And yet for all the haggardness of his appearance there was about the man an air of happiness that spread outward from him like a low fire.

He fell against the bar, hodling it as though without it he would fall down, and indeed for a moment, it appeared as though me might fall asleep where he stood. The barkeep passed him a cup of strong coffee laced with something even stronger and after sucking it down, Fordim was able to speak. Turning to his fellow Gondorians he began a Speech:

"Greetings all! As some of you know I have recently advertised an adventure of an entirely hobbitish sort that I wanted to embark upon and some of you had kindly expressed an interest in it. But I am afraid that at this time I find I must suspend that adventure, and indeed much of my activities in this marvellous realm.

"Back in my own land, my wife, the good Missus Hedgethistle, has just given birth to twins -- this event while, of course, not unexpected, has occured somewhat earlier than we had thought it would. Fortunately for us, the skill of the healers in our land is such that both mother and children are doing well and resting comfortably. But as you can imagine, my energy is now rather in demand and I find that I cannot commit to any long or demanding undertaking here.

"So it is with deep regret that I shall be forced to suspend my proposed adventure for the time being.

"This is not good-bye but only a brief farewell. While I may not be able to visit these lands of the Downs as much as I have formerly I will check in from time to time. Look for me when you least expect me!"

And with a bang and a flash, he was gone.