View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Vaine has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
Lots of reasons really, but the main one is that it has the most information about the Hobbits and The Shire in it, which I love.

Of course it's also got a familiar landscape, and familiar sorts of mysteries such as Barrows and Forests and it evokes magic for me, especially with the Tom chapters (sorry folks, I love old Tom ). It makes me want to go walking about and looking for old groves and Downs and creepy, ganrled old willows....

And coming from that, I find it the most lovingly written part of the whole story. The landscapes spring out of the page and you feel like you can even smell them; you can taste the food and ale at Bilbo's party; you can explore Bag End; and feel frightened as the outside world starts to intrude.
Yeah as I recall from when I read it myself, Book 1 was the longest, in terms of travelling per page (If you know what I mean), it's the part where Tolkien spent the most time explaining landscapes and characters in detail, heavy detail

But again, this is why it is to easy sometimes to.. ehm, whats the word, dive into it, experience it, live it? Something...
Vaine is offline   Reply With Quote