View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #36
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Well, I see that this is confusing. I left out the change refered to and redirected my comment. So you are right Aiwendil there is nothing added at position NA-EX-45.2. But I did add it under NA-EX-45.3.
Ah, that makes more sense. This certainly looks like the right place to put the passage if it is to be kept. I still have a slight reservation - in the original version, of course, Gwindor is describing the camp from within (and is presumably reasonably close to Turin). In our version, Beleg and Gwindor are still some distance away from the camp (not near enough to be noticed by the wolves, at least). So are they close enough to see Turin so clearly, 'stern-visaged, strong, and in stature tall' or to hear his cries?

NA-EX-45.2: I think there was a typo in my suggestion. I meant:

Quote:
If this were so, his sole hope lay in returning to the Ford of Brithiach, and then going north to Tol Sirion. {But scarcely had he determind on this than they heard the noise of a great host approaching through the forest from the south;}> NA-EX-45.2 <Lay
{ __ Their spoils were piled,
he defies fearless, __ on a fangéd peak
of thunder-riven __ Thangorodrim.'}

In eager anger __ then up sprang Beleg,
In other words, delete the whole sentence 'But scarcely . . .' and move right into the Lay after describing his intention to return to the Brithiach.

NA-EX-47.6: A footnote?! Blasphemy of blasphemies!

Actually, I think this is a good idea in this case. If it were prose, of course, there would be no reason to put in a footnote what could easily be added into the main text, but in verse things are different. And of course unlike the infamous Ainulindale footnote proposal, there are no thorny Aelfwine/Pengolodh issues here!
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote