Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Hello Findegil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
As might be suspected, I have a view questions:
- Since I never saw any sign of your chapterheadings, I assume you invented them. For what reason did you do that?
Yes I invented them. After the publication of The Children of Hurin I wanted that his cousin had a similar story, and that invention (I think) is not against the story and don’t changes anything wrote by Tolkien. It’s only a heading.

Quote:
- Legolas: Did I understand you right, that you removed Legolas as the guid during the night by Galdor the Lord of the people of the Tree?
Yes, if we assume as truth (in this case I think it can be possible) the matter of names and elves, there can not be there anyone called Legolas here unless he was the same as in the LOTR, and we know is not the case. I think Galdor is a good solution, he also was there (and of the same house), and is not told to have died anywhere.
And

Quote:
- How did you handel the fugetives that seperated from Tuor to take the old way of escape?
To omit is not to lie, simply there were no separation because they knew that the Orfalch Echor (The way of escape) had been closed many years ago. (And it’s told in my version).

Quote:
- Balrogs: Did you realy change every meention of Balrogs to a singular Balrog? Would that mean that Tuor, Ecthelion, and Rog each killed a Balrog? Even so before hand you did not mention more than one Balrog?

All we know that in later mythology there can not be hundreds of Balrogs, but I don’t think really that Tolkien considered in an hypothetically revision to exit from the beginning only seven Balrogs, (Balrogs dead when the other battles, the battle of Gondolin, and the last battle, apart for that one of Moria).
With this, yes, each one killed a balrog, (we are in the First age, everyone are more powerful, elves and Tuor!!!). I don’t remember how many balrogs are mentioned in my version but I think don’t matters, for they are few, and coherent and I think credible.

Quote:
- May be I am just a bit slow this morning but Gond dolen did not ring any bell with me. Could you give a bit more information.
As for Gond Dolen“Hidden Rock” for the origin of the word Gondolin ( I introduced when they are telling Tuor things about the city and its history, as the history of the Ice), I remember is mentioned in the Appendix of elements of Quenya and sindarin at the end of The Silmarillion published. As the most part of the text was made many years ago I don’t remember if it’s mentioned in other book.

Quote:
- The same is true for the speech of Thorondor and Turgon from WH. Can you give a more specific source information.
In WH when Húrin is searching the way to Gondolin, the eagles watched him, and Thorondor went to Turgon, these words I introduced in FoG, and in the chapter “Of the wanderings of Húrin”, I introduced in the other book, (as I will tell later), I resumed the speech for no repetition.

Quote:
- How did you handel the escape from the battle, when you placed Tuor's house in the north of the city? Or did you change the direction of the attack to come from the south?
Since the Cirith Thoronath is now in the North, I think the house of Tuor there must be in the north. I think we can put it wherever we want, because there’s no more information about it. The characteristics of the stone of Amon Gwared, as it’s said by Tuor, makes very difficult the excavation, (even for the Noldor) and I think that as Tolkien put house south/Cristhorn south in the old version, we can put the other now, making the tunnel as short as we can.
The attack of course is from the north, but in the time of the flight (as I think is said) there were enemies around all Amon Gwared, North, West, South and East, and the escape from the north could have been the less expected by Morgoth.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote