View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 12:46 PM   #73
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

miellien,

I have some boys, too. The oldest read FotR at about 13-14 years. He is very smart. He found it boring, too detailed, not enough action. But he had already read many other fantasy books. I assume they are not as full textured as Tolkien, though I have not read most of them. I think they appeal to an adolescent mind and attention, especially boys raised on computer and video games, and action movies.

The next two boys have both read only FotR. probably around 12-13 yrs of age. They both failed to continue. They are both smart. One is more of a reader than the other.

I think if I read it out loud with them, they would appreciate it more. (I have read out loud with all my sons, quite a number of books.) It takes a long commitment for such a large book, though, so I have not done it with them as of yet. (I murdered The Hobbit with them a few years ago, taking too long, so they definitely lost interest. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

This weekend I read part of a chapter to the 12 year old. He enjoyed it.

Finally, I read it myself when about 13-14. I discovered it in the library, and thought I was the only person in the world who knew how great this was!