View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I agree that Boromir was portrayed really harshly in the movie, and the only reason that he seemed so was that PJ didn't give a very good portrayal of Boromir being sorry for attacking Frodo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sorry, but I couldn't agree less! I think Boromir was one of the best portrayals and I liked Sean's Boromir better than Tolkien's version, in fact! The added Boromir parts in the TTT:EE also serve to illustrate a character who is not so concerned with the subtleties of Ring Lore but who is ready to make any sacrifice for Gondor and whose intentions are good but his deeper knowledge lacking. <P>As for his contriteness at the attack on Frodo, I think he showed as much regret as any good person would. You hear him screaming his apologies through a fog as Frodo is running away; of course, in the book, Frodo could no longer hear him and the rift is drawn forever between the two. The book and the movie follow Frodo's point of view here. I found Boromir's sorrow to ring genuine at this point and it made the last ditch effort to save Merry and Pippin all the more poignant. That battle scene is one of my favorite of all of them!<P>Cheers and welcome, <B>Beanamir</B>! (Great name, by the way!)<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote