View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #37
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
One thing I've noticed in rewatching these sequences is the amount of repetition of information. Within the first forty minutes or so, we see and/or are told the story of Isildur three times. I understand that there's a lot of information here for the audience to take in, so some repetition is necessary, but I wonder how much is too much, and whether or not Isildur's story deserves this much focus as a plot element. Something to think on.
In the movie Mortal Kombat, the main theme of the movie is repeated many times. I've found that this works well with a younger audience and also makes the theme unmistakable by those unfamiliar with the story/characters/etc. Again, as PJ isn't known for subtlety, was this his way of hammering the 'history' home?

Was PJ making sure that we got it so that his references to Isildur later in the trilogy made some sense? He meant to show that by one man ME was cursed, and so would be redeemed later by one man. Is this to 'answer' questions like why didn't Elrond just bop Isildur on the head, take the Ring and cast it in the Crack?