View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 10:07 AM   #38
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
I still look and wonder why it was more important for Gandalf to run off to Saruman then help two defenseless hobbits carry out the most important task of the third age?!?!
but wasn't it ALWAYS Gandalf's job to bog off when it came to Hobbit's jouneying? I always remember at school reading the Hobbit - oh there gandalf goes again! (or other words to that affect) - but years later I realised he was at the Council and planning to get Sauron out of Dol Guldur.

So he goes to see Saruman to find out what to do. Now (sacrilige here maybe) - but isn't it a better idea to get the hobbits out of the Shire as soon as possible and send them on their way rather than making them wait for him to come back as he does in the book?

We must also remember that Gandalf DID NOT KNOW THE RINGWRAITHS WERE HUNTING FRODO DOWN YET. That is why he could go to see Saruman. Remember the passage coming up soon with Saruman. Saruman tells him the Nine had left Minas Morgul - What happens? FRODO! - He gasps and attempts to leave, no doubt to rush back to aid Frodo.....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote