Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2001, 05:12 PM   #17
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Moderator
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Bye Bye Balrogs

I need not restate Tar Elenion's comments on Ealar, Umaiar, etc.; but I agree with him.

&lt;&lt;Isn't that exactly what I suggested be done?
Go back and actually do the research yourself, rather than build upon incorrect information.&gt;&gt;

I agree that it's important not to blindly build upon someone else's research, but certainly it can be considered. Why painstakingly work out conclusions that have already been proven by someone else? And what's the use of writing an essay, approaching it scientifically, and documenting your sources if it's going to be disregarded by everyone else? I don't think there's anything wrong with, for instance, reading MM's essay on Balrogs; if there are errors, they can certainly be refuted, but it may also provide answers that I, for instance, would not have thought of myself.

&lt;&lt;Aiwendil: I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Again, a reference would be most appreciated.

Bob: The bible. You've heard of that one before right?&gt;&gt;

As a matter of fact I have. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, not being a practising Christian, but what does this have to do with Tolkien? Was your original reference (something about a third of heaven) something to do with the Silmarillion or merely an analogy that went right over my head?

</p>
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote