View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 09:31 PM   #274
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield night of Dec. 19; Argeleafa

Argeleafa sat close to Bellyn, aware that Nethwador's eyes were fixed on the latter. It made her uneasy, the way he was always staring at Bellyn. She felt an unexplained guilt come over her, and as swiftly it had come it was explained. She had been sorrowful that she had been ignored, yet she had ignored Nethwador very much. It was so hard to speak with him, though. He seemed suspicious of everyone. But she was afraid of the attentions of everyone, despite that she longed for them.

Ędegard.... he had been very kind to her. He had spoken to her almost the whole previous day, though he had not said much to her this day. To speak to her so much... not many people had ever treated her so warmly. She had not said much to him in return. Why? Yesterday night she had come up with many clever, friendly, enjoyable remarks to make in return to his. Why could they not have come sooner? Ah, but so many things to say had come and she had been too shy to speak.

And then he had sung that lovely song. She had never heard it before. But of course she wouldn't have, for he had composed it that very day. She had asked Liornung about it and he had told her about the game they had played. Liornung had not sung his song yet. Perhaps he was waiting for Bellyn, or for her. That was nonsense. No one would want her to sing. Perhaps her voice was well enough, but she did not know of songs to match those that had been sung.

"Nethwador." He turned his eyes to her and she smiled. "Hello," she said. Bellyn started; she had been deep in thought and Argeleafa's voice had surprised her. She also looked at Nethwador and, following Argeleafa's example, smiled at him, yet she looked rather ill at ease. She had seemed uneasy the whole day.

Argeleafa saw that Nethwador's attentions were fixed solely on Bellyn; he would not even look at her. No matter. She had grown used to it. At least she had the consolation she had been friendly. She began to sing in a barely audible voice.

"Deep in my heart are you, Rohan my home,
Far from your quiet fields now I roam.
In a distant land bends my way,
But I shall return to you some day."