View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #106
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nali

Good, very good. Her temper and will were both waning. Nali had half expected her to accept his offer, but he did not expect her gratitude as well. His eyebrows lifted in surprise at this, and before Nali could even reply Kórin boldly walked past him and back out into the night air by the rest of the council. Nali watched her proudly walk by, he smiled to himself. Perhaps she wasn't half as bad as she pretended to be.

A blast of that chilly night air blew in from the open doors and Nali was obliged to adjust his green cloak. This, however, was interrupted by the sound of a Dwarf deliberately clearing his throat. Nali's gaze darted to where the sound came from and put his hand inside his cloak, feeling for his mace. The stranger, who was indeed a Dwarf, smiled and raised his empty hands and did not put them down until Nali's hand was withdrawn from his mace. The old Dwarf gritted his teeth and glared at the stranger. Nali was half angry at himself for his blindness (the stranger was only twenty paces to the side) and the younger Dwarf's boldness. Slowly, Nali made his way to the Dwarf.

"Who art thou," Nali asked in a seething voice. The Dwarf seemed stunned and did not reply. Nali asked again, only this time louder. "Who art thou that comes so boldly before me in the midst of a private conversation? Did my words amuse thou? Is the predicament that we are in sooth thy half-baked curiosity? Well speak!"

If only I were fifty years younger I would deck this impetuous rascal to teach him his place!

Nīsa

She tried to hold Onli back by grabbing his garments, but she missed. Nali would not be amused if he saw Onli listening in on his conversation. The old man was nice enough, but he was old and held very traditional views on manners and duties.

Nīsa was about to call after him, but Vriti, who Onli had placed on the ground, scurried past her and was heading for the doors. As quickly as she could, Nīsa caught Vriti by the tail to stop her and picked her up.

"Not that way, precious. If Trór were to see you messing around near him, he would fit you to his cruel spear. Let's get back to your master."

Carefully creeping along the pillars, Nīsa went towards Onli. She could have stopped him, she could have pulled him back, but she didn't; the old dwarf had stirred and she was frightened. It was too late, Onli had cleared his throat and drawn the attention of Nali, whose temper was none the better for it. In a fume of rage she heard Nali let in to Onli about his rash action.

"Is the predicament that we are in sooth thy half-baked curiosity? Well speak!"

Nīsa couldn't stand it. Even if Onli was rash, she was the reason he was there. Nīsa gently put Vriti in her pocket and stepped out into view. Nali looked stunned by the unexpected sight of her.

"Nīsa? What art thou doing here? Trór will skin the both of you alive if he finds out that thou art snooping around so close to the council, if snooping it was." Nali again turned a venomous glance at Onli, and would have seized him by his scruff if Onli hadn't been quick enough to jump back.

"No, no," Nīsa pleaded and reached to stay Nali's hand. "He hasn't harmed me, and you have no right to speak to him so. It is my fault that he's here, I led him to the council because he wished to speak to Trór. Please don't harm him."

Nali was stunned by Nisa's honesty and openness, this was not her usually reserved character. The old man smiled at Nīsa and turned back to Onli.

"Perhaps I was a bit impetuous myself in rebuking thy's actions, young man. Although thy's eavesdropping was uncalled for, I offer my apologies on my fault. My name, as thou probably have guest by now, is Nali. What is your name, and why doest thou wish to speak to Trór: the new lord of Khazad-dum?"

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 01-31-2009 at 02:11 PM.