View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #19
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Before I comment on this, I would like to commend Felagund for his excellent posts. Welcome to the Downs!

First, I want to say that we need to remember that the discussion of battle formation is not necessarily an exciting read. and in general would have clashed with Tolkein's goal of writing a folk tale for Britain. ALL ARMIES, no matter what, need formation. Some movies like the idea of masses of "good guys" charging with the leader at the head and wreaking havoc, but this is unrealistic. Armies have used formation since the start of war, and since I would place the army type of most armies of LOTR in our middle ages, it is safe to assume that they would also use formation. An example of formation in LOTR would be Rohan's eored, which is a cavalry formation. Order and organization almost always prevails in warfare(i.e. Rome versues the Barbarians).

Secondly, and more on topic, I believe that Elves would be best to face Wargs. Dwarves are steadfast but like the arm length and height to deal with a strong cavalry charge, and honestly, men are simply less talented then elves, if similar in build. Elves are agile, skillfull warriors with strong weapons, the ability to launch ranged attacks with great accuracy, and excellence at swordplay. To use Felagund's example, an elf such as Glorfindel would not have much trouble with wargs, so it is safe to assume that an army of elves of somewhat lesser skill could also topple a charge of wargs.