View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #64
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Perhaps language is tripping us up here.

Quote:
Please specify what you mean by playing an orc; if it is a mere name, or if it actually implies replicating, to whatever extent, destructive acts of the orcs.
Surely everyone would agree that if someone imitates an orc and, as part of this "play acting", consciously commit destructive acts in the "real world", then this is not moral behavior. Conversely, if I write for an orc in an RPG (which I presently do) and use it to explore certain questions of psychology or faerie and my "real" behavior does not become orclike, I would not call such an situation immoral or negative in any way or sense.

Would the 'destructive' orc have been a destructive person in real life even if they had never taken on the persona of one of Tolkien's monstors? ...probably so. The basic problem undoubtedly lies within....the orc facade is one of many outer trappings they might have used to express something within that is basically wrong, but they could easily have used another persona, and the end results would be the same.