View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Well, as far as I could find, in Unfinished Tales CT says this at the beginning of the short text of the Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn:
Quote:
The text bearing this title is a short and hasty outline, very roughly composed, which is nonetheless almost the sole narrative source for the events in the West of Middle-earth up to the defeat and expulsion of Sauron from Eriador in the year 1701 of the Second Age. Other than this there is little beyond the brief and infrequent entries in the Tale of Years, and the much more generalised and selective account in Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age (published in The Silmarillion).
Here he references the text as if it is extant outside of his own personal creation as a primary source. He also refers to certain passages in the drafting for the chapter of the Council of Elrond and the Lothlorien material for LotR as the first drafts for what would later become passages in the later part of Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age. CT also mentions it in the drafts for the Appendices of LotR:
Quote:
The name Ulairi of the Ring-wraiths seems to mark a period in my father's work: it is found also in a text of the Tale of Years (p. 175); in The Heirs of Elendil (Chapter VII); and in Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age (published in The Silmarillion).
All of these references seem to indicate that there was indeed a Tolkien document with this title extant as a primary source, and CT did not make it up wholesale. However, as Zigur says, the very last part summing up LotR seems very out of place after reading the other source texts of Tolkien, and feels very much like a CT addition. That very fact is what leads me to this inquiry, since I do not know which parts are Tolkien original or CT creation. However, CT always refers to the document with the clarifying "published in The Silmarillion." Perhaps he means that he simply published it as it was without alteration? However, consideration of the majority of the book makes this claim very hard to believe.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 01-21-2018 at 10:37 PM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote