View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #15
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I thought it hewed very closely to the Silm theme that most evil in the world doesn't come from the Dark Lord, but from the Children of Iluvatar doing things which could be classified as 'extremely stupid'. Think of the great cities of Beleriand: Menegroth, Nargothrond, Himring, Gondolin. None of them were taken by Morgoth by sheer force of arms - every single one of them was betrayed from within. Thingol's greed, Turin's hubris, Ulfang's treachery, Maeglin's jealousy - these were the causes of Beleriand's fall, not the strength of Angband.
I guess I should clarify that I meant that it seemed un-Tolkien to me that Turgon could have defeated Morgoth by force of arms.

Although, I had forgotten about the references to the possibility of victory in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears except for treachery.

Quote:
PS: On balrogs, I was interested to see how much description we actually get of them. They have iron claws, iron helms, and shoot darts of fire as well as wielding their fiery whips.

... now I just want to know why Alan Lee decided to draw a tail on the one Glorfindel is fighting??

hS
In an early draft there was an obscure reference to a balrog's whip being "like a tail."