View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Seems I've heard similar criticisms before. Must have been on TORN.
Amusingly I originally saw this article the other day when I was browsing TORN. Judging by the reactions to Mr. Mortensen's few rather mild remarks people there (and elsewhere) are still taking criticism of the films as personal attacks. Fans, eh?

I think he has a fair point. I would probably agree that "Fellowship" is the strongest item on the menu, but for my own part I still consider even that to be a very deeply flawed film with insurmountable obstacles in terms of characterisation and the handling of the backstory. Peter Jackson's predilection for CGI is more obvious than ever by this point, of course. I honestly don't see the difference these days between him and someone like Michael Bay: making boring long-winded CGI-candy action films with no substance.

I haven't watched them in ages out of fear for my sanity but I don't recall the CGI in the adaptations of The Lord of the Rings being as obvious as in the films of The Hobbit. Perhaps the earlier films used it more where necessary and to fill in the gaps between practical effects where in these new ones it's more front-centre as it were (I'm looking at you, "Azog").