View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #57
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
"Nurumaiel The Alternately Bold And Shy" sent me a PM with lovely answers to all my questions. I'm in the process of begging her to post them here, but she's off researching characters in Tolkien and what their virtues are. No wonder I love her so much.

I was right about the tin-whistle; she says it doesn't have much of a story, but I lovingly disagree. I think it's a sweet story although short.

We seem to have quite a few minstrels here! Guitars, piano, violin, flute, whistle, voice...! Maybe we should find sheet music for "The Lay of Nimrodel". Anyone interested? Oooo! Wouldn't it be fun to have musical sound bites to go with this story!

I wonder if I could mount them on my website and we could link to them in the story. No bandwidth issues that way. Hmmm, hmmmm....

Looking forward to hearing from each of you again....

:wanders off, humming and singing:

[b](edit)[b]

Nuru never got around to posting her responses here-- and I just found them in my PM log. So I'll quote them below. Is she Irish, or what! Love it! No wonder she writes peppy tunes.
Quote:
I really know of no official list of what 'makes a good Catholic,' so to say, but above all things love of God, for if one truly does love Him then everything else will slip into place. Indeed I've heard that the simple and only way to become a saint is to love God, for if one really loved Him they would try their utmost to refrain from sin and do naught but to please Him which would, naturally, make them saints if they persevered.

Humility, charity, purity, meekness, love, kindness, and so on and so forth are all virtues which Catholics try to practice, and many's the one I've heard making sore complaint about how hard it is to remember to be all those things at once. But as I already mentioned, 'love God with all heart, mind, soul, and strength' and everything else will come naturally.

I have a fancy to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy again and jot down the characters' virtues, etc. and then again what they lack and learn more about it myself. I've never thought of it in specific terms but now you've made me quite interested.

As for my tin whistle, nothing special was ever of it only that it's the only tin whistle I've ever played and it's been around for ages. One grows rather attached to such things, I suppose, and it does play a sweet melody. The black mouthpiece, however, is quite riddled with teeth marks and beginning to crack. I fear in moments of frustration when composing music I have ground my teeth, quite forgetting to take the tin whistle out of my mouth first. There's actually a little hole in the mouthpiece that makes the music wisp when you play the higher octave if you don't play in a certain way. I don't think I could compile a list of all the places this tin whistle has been..... I take it everywhere, regardless of whether I play or not. Much easier than trying to find room in the crowded car for a guitar or a safe place for a fragile fiddle. And with a dreamy expression on my face, I wonder if some day I'll be able to purchase my very own concertina.....

I don't quite know how old my tin whistle is, for it was my father who purchased it. In truth, it isn't mine yet for it's still his, but I like to refer to it as 'mine' as in 'my friend.' I'm often laughed at for calling an instrument my friend but in all truth I don't know what other name to give an instrument that comforts me in such loneliness, laughs, sings, and all other things with me!

Must run now. I'm eager to look more into the subject of Tolkien's characters and their morals.

God bless ye!
~Nuru

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-15-2004 at 12:31 PM.