View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This issue has been discussed before in relation to the books and the stories of Aragorn and Arwen, and Beren and Luthien.

Regarding the books, neither of these couples can have consummated their relationships prior to marriage since by doing so they would have become married according to the laws of the Eldar by which although there are customary vows and ceremonies it is the act of union that makes the marrriage.

As far as the film goes, I think it merely leaves it up to the interpretation of the viewer - though I don't think it was excessive. I mean they were fully dressed and if youthink of the parts of the tale of Beren and Luthien that got people excited in the other thread (the fact that they went off together unchaperoned and the line "that in his arms lay glistening" etc ..) it seems quite tame. And if I remember the scene you are talking about.... wasn't it part of a dream sequence?

I have bumped the thread to which I refer since I still can't link.

"Oooh la la, Luthien"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-18-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote