View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 12:50 PM   #94
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The question I raised proves much more diffcult than I thought!

The text in Myths Trabsformed reffered to in my last post is in § iii of text VII Notes on motives in the Silmarillion.:
Quote:
The war was successful, and ruin was limited to the small (if beautiful) region of Beleriand. Morgoth was thus actually made captive in physical form, and in that form taken as a mere criminal to Aman and delivered to Namo Mandos as judge - and executioner. He was judged, and eventually taken out of the Blessed Realm and executed: that is killed like one of the Incarnates. It was then made plain (though it must have been understood beforehand by Manwe and Namo) that, though he had 'disseminated' his power (his evil and possessive and rebellious will) far and wide into the matter of Arda, he had lost direct control of this, and all that 'he', as a surviving remnant of integral being, retained as 'himself' and under control was the terribly shrunken and reduced spirit that inhabited his self-imposed (but now beloved) body. When that body was destroyed he was weak and utterly 'houseless', and for that time at a loss and 'unanchored' as it were. We read that he was then thrust out into the Void. That should mean that he was put outside Time and Space, outside Ea altogether; but if that were so this would imply a direct intervention of Eru (with or without supplication of the Valar). It may however refer inaccurately to the extrusion or flight of his spirit from Arda.
This of course reffers to a a round earth cosmology which we do not deal with (or at least which our version of the Translations of the Elvish did deny for the time of the defeat of Morgoth). What I thought would make a passage of Eärendil through the Door of Night impossible was the fact that in this concept it would led him "outside time and space" and not into the sky. But if the text is interpreted more like Tolkien did it in his last remark, than the Door of Night can stand as a confused concept never fully explained in the text. Since it is said of Eärednils journey that they led him into the starless viod, it could also be right that Tolkien saw him really as passing the Door of Night. But than I would interpret the text as her giving a look into the future to a time when Morgoth was thrust out (for which reason the door was build).
However the Door of Night can stand as a passage of Eärendils journey in the sky in our version even if I find it still odd.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote