View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
I would definitely love to see a more "artistic" Tolkien-film (not talking about Tarkovsky or anything, but rather... umm... well, like Pan's Labyrinth compared to Wolfgang Petersen's Troy, if you get what I mean), and Del Toro would be just the man to do that.
I do agree with you waiting for a more "artistic" take on a Tolkien story. But just thinking about Wolfgang Petersen I'd wish to say that his U-Boat film Das Boot (U-96) was one of the most deep, believable, touchingly realistic and still entertaining War-movie I have ever seen. So maybe he could come over that "Troy" stuff to eventually produce a realistical but still mind-gripping Hobbit? In Das Boot he clearly showed he can care of his characters and he has an ability to make them look real even if some of them are a bit stereotyped.

I would still go for Peter Weir if asked. Or if Ridley Scott would get an inspiration to produce something he managed in The Blade Runner or The Gladiator... But who would ask me about that?

I don't think Del Toro a bad choice. Don't get me wrong. I liked Pan's Labyrinth even if I thought it was a bit overdone...

Being artistically great or fresh you need to avoid the generalisations of the main-stream black-white stuff and the requirements of being slapstick in the "lowest common denominator" -way etc. But you can't follow the clicheés of "artsy" films either.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote