View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Posted by gondowe:
Quote:
When it is said at the end os OtRoD that Elwing escaped from Doriath with part of the people I introduced that whit her was Celeborn.
Yes, I as well considered that placement, but then I thought that Celebron could as well have been with the Sindarin fighters ariving late at the battle field and attacking the Feanorians when Menegroth had already fall. It is told that the brethern were in the end winners in a field of dead, but the text suggets nonetheless that some of these late attackers escaped (as far as I remember).

SP-SL-03.5: This note was repeated in UT and I used it later on, when Galadriel and Celeborn returned to Lindon. But that can be discussed.

SP-SL-04: Actually I tend to agree to your choice to postpone it to part 3. I included it here because when we discussed it first as a part the chapter about the Voyage of Eärendil, we discovered that the time of such a journey as these happy mariners make can only be the Second Age between the main return of the exiles at the beginn of the Age and the time when the visits of Eressean Eldar to Númenor stopped, I suppose. And in that time span this place seemed to me the best fitting. But the idea of placing it in part 3 didn't come to my mind.

SP-SL-07: Repeating this sentence is no option. And to use the complete section here as well not good, since the reason for Orophers northward movement will is told after this placement. To use the complete section later is an option, but I found it desierable to give these excamples of the Sindarin leaders establishing realms among the Silvian Elves.

SP-SL-08.5: Good find! This is nice addition that I missed.

SP-SL-12.7: This does not work for me. In RGEO we have ban on Galadriels return. Since RGEO is a high priority source, we can not here creat a text that would denie the ban. I tried to circumfent that question in my version, so it might be that I failed. If that is so, we have edit any passage out that does sound like there was a possibilty for return of Galadriel at this stage in the history.

SP-SL-15: To replace Amroth with Celebrian would creat an unknow fact in Middel-earth, which is clearly against our rules. So we either state the fact that her birth place is unknown, for which I tried to use Christophers 'comment' or we skip that sentence.

SP-SL-25.5 & SP-SL-25.7: Good find! But I don't think that {adopting}[learning] does help. I have to search about this a bit longer, but think we have passages describing the slow process from the Sindarin intruders adopting Silvian speech over introduction of single words of Sindarin because they might better fit until the speech of Lórien and Mirkwood Elves was a kind of Sindrain dialect.

SP-SL-26.1: Agreed.

SP-SL-28: Good find.

Posted by ArcusCalion:
Quote:
This is an excellent chapter, and a brilliant start to the Second Age narratives! I'm very excited to go forward on this. I apologize for the length of the post.
Thanks for the flowers! The next chapter is in preperation for posting and there is nothing for apologize for if post are long, if they are full of highly apreciated contenet.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote