View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #292
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Actually that isn't a particular loss. I have no visual memory of it save Bernard Cribbens sitting crouched forward, but very strong memory of his voice.
I remember the opening credits. They were quite special/celebratory. I think it was a special anniversary - maybe the 100th Jackanory story, or something like that?

Quote:
Fantastic. The Jackanory recording was my introduction to Tolkien and missing the final episode for Brownies meant I bought the book.
Mine too, but I think I only saw/heard the Giant Spiders episode. So not significantly "spoilered."

Quote:
I didn't get to actually speak to him as there we too many with the same wish at the British Library hobbit event last year but myvfriend who went to RoTR got his autograph for me which I treasure.

Hordern was remarkable. A great Shakespearean and the voice of Gandalf...and Paddington Bear. Welcome to the Downs.
Also the narrator of the Watership Down film (which also featured Richard O'Callaghan, as Blackberrry, I think, and I've an idea Michael Graham Cox was Bigwig, too).

Michel Hordern was also Baptista in The Taming Of The Shrew (Zeffirelli film).

And of course he was Badger in the Cosgrove Hall "The Wind In The Willows" too (both the film and the six TV series) - he's very like Gandalf in that, but a little more rustic in his speech.

Welcome to the Downs from me too.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 08-19-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote