View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Haramu
Newly Deceased

Haramu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Do most fantasy novel nowadays have traceable elements of Tolkienism in them?

I know the professor inspired a lot of authors like J. K. Rowling but it seems fantasy writers nowadays haven’t anything else to add. They can’t make anything new and fresh. Its like people have lost their ways to create new things. Of course, I know the professor had cleverly borrowed ork from the Norse mythologies as well as other tales. But he did it in such a way that it became interesting to read and to know more about these so called repulsive creatures. He was a very intelligent man with an enormous imagination unlike most authors nowadays who seem to copy and paste from Tolkien or other clever authors like C. S. Lewis, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson or Lloyd C. Douglas. If you're going to make a fantasy book then do it in such a clever way to make it more interesting and readable. Every time I pick up a fantasy book I can't help but sense some form of Tolkienism . Deep down and dark at the bottom of my heart I really wished that the professor had finished 'The New Shadow'. It would've made a brillant thriller and a good sequel to 'Lord of the Rings'. Sorry if I am rabbling on a bit

Last edited by Haramu; 03-02-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Haramu is offline   Reply With Quote