View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 08:56 PM   #28
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
2. Remove the part that the Orcs were angry at Maeglin because and wanted to kill him. It seems to me that given the information given by Maeglin, they would at least bring him to Angband.
I must admit that, not having thought about this section for a while, it is hard to remember all the nuances of the textual situation. But I don't quite see what the point of this would be. What is the motivation for this particular change? It doesn't seem to me that the change regarding the information Maeglin has necessitates a change in the behavior of the Orcs. I don't see what's wrong with this: Maeglin is captured, the Orcs threaten him, he tells them he is Aredhel's son, they ask what this is to them, he gives them information. Having gotten the information, they threaten to slay him, but he points out that Morgoth would be pleased if they brought him in as a prisoner.

It doesn't seem particularly strange that the Orcs would threaten to kill him the second time, for they have already gotten information out of him. Perhaps I'm just missing something or forgetting the thrust of the debate.

To me, a bigger problem seems to be the mention of Sauron in ToY. Yes, it is a vague and dubious note, but it makes me wish there were some way of achieving ambiguity (my favorite word) here so as to allow the possibility that Sauron captured him. But alas, I don't see any way to do that.

The only other minor point that I can see in part 3 that has not yet been finalized is FG-M02: the "sons of Orcs" bit. Perhaps someone could explain to me precisely why "sons of Orcs" doesn't work as an embellishment for "Orcs" while "sons of Men" does work as an embellishment for "Men". It's not that I think this point is particularly important; I simply don't see any good reason to make the change.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote