View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 08:25 AM   #7
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
I have almost forgotten this... thanks for bringing it back to live H-I (:

I agree with what you said. I think I kind of ignored the hobbits influence on Boro... but of course Tolkien's characters are complicated and there's always more to... speculate. I have to say I agree on all you said about the scene in the movie, both the good and the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom
I have not yet seen this line of reasoning....would you care to explain? (I'm curious.)
I believe Rumil answered that question (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom
On the conclusions that Merry and Pippin are the next step in hobbit evolution, I would have to disagree. It appears that the cause of their growth was the entwater, not any changes to their DNA.
I'm not going into biology here... but still I think that it's rather likely something changing the height of a mamal to change its DNA too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marileangorifurnimaluim
First I thought you were nuts. Then I thought you were kidding, making an elaborate and rather funny take on our over-thought discussions here in the Downs. Finally I realized that english is a second language for you. Could you condense what you are trying to say? It may make it more clear. So far, because of misused and absent prepositions primarily I believe, it is difficult to follow what you mean.
I never hid that I was nuts (: Other than that, I'm sorry, I try to use proper English, but it's not so easy as it seems for native speaker. Especially as English is not my only foreign language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruwen
I don't really get what you mean by that. You lost me comletely on that one. Could you explain a little more, Please??
Well actually I don't think I can... it's just the examples I gave...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkgirl
first he is mistaken for one, which represents them as poles. Then he has a close encounter with a Nazgul in Bree. Also he's the first one to notice the Nazgul from Weathertop, but that's not so important.
Quote:
Uh, wasn't it Merry AND Pippin who always got into trouble?
mmmm thanks PJ is all I'm going to say (: It's actually Frodo's youth stealing things from farmer Maggot you know.

Quote:
This one is the one I have to disagree with. Frodo and Sam are the ones I thought showed the most love for friendship.
Well as I said, the main trigger for Sam is, at least in the beginning, the servent following the master. I don't mean to diminish his feelings in any way, but it's a fact that he is a servent and his love is (or at leasts starts as) kind of dog devotion. There's nothing wrong with it, but still it's not pure friendship to start with. Sam goes as a servent, Merry and Pippin go as friends. Am I being even more confusing? :/
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote