View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #201
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We started discussing the earlier drafts of LotR here but didn't get too far. Some interesting observations though.

Where I have a problem is with your apparent contention that Bilbo's display of compassion in regard to Gollum is a sign of Christian inspired revision, or that the new 'depth' in later drafts is either.

I don't see this at all - merely that Tolkien realised that far from writing a sequel to TH, aimed at children, he was writing for a more mature audience (even if that 'audience' was mainly himself, Christopher & the Inklings).

I just can't see this 'consciously so in the revision'. I suppose what we've been discussing on the 'Gandalf' thread could be put forward (Gandalf was originally not intended to die in Moria, but Tolkien later decided to have him die & be brought back to life). Also, Tolkien stated: (in Lobdell: 'A Tolkien Compass)

Quote:
'The fellowship ... left on December 25th, which then had no significance, since the Yule, or its equivalent, was then the last day of the year & the first of the next year. But December 25th (setting out) & March 25th (accomplishment of the quest) were intentionally chosen by me'

'A guide to the names in LotR'
But these seem the most 'blatant' examples. I suppose one could argue that the language of later parts of LotR are quite 'Biblical'. All in all, though. I can't see any really specifically 'Christian' elements or changes introduced. Of course, it depends what Tolkien meant by 'Christian'. Lembas, as he acknowledged to one correspondent, is more than 'applicable' to the Host, Elbereth shares many aspects with the Virgin Mary, etc, but these things seem to me very superficial & someone with no knowledge of the book would not need to know anything about Christianity or make that connection to understand the book. If the Christian element has been absorbed into the story it has been absorbed so effectively that it is unnoticeable to most readers - & my suspicion is that the 'Christian' elements most Christian readers find in it are not ones that Tolkien put in ('Aragorn looks like Jesus').

Focus on self-sacrifice, compassion, humility, mercy, are hardly uniquely 'Christian'. Elbereth could well be an 'image' of the Virgin Mary, but she could also be an 'image' of Isis or Don.

Repeating myself, but its only a belief that Christianity is the Archetype from which all other myths devolve that leads to seeing these aspects of the story as 'Christian' revisions. Actually, they are simply 'mythical'.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote