View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #203
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
However, Tolkien was not a follower of Isis or Don; he was Christian. I'm basing my research on his contention that his Christian understanding of reality pervades the subtext of LotR.
From a Jungian perspective your first point is arguable, however, I'll leave it there.

Look, I accept that Tolkien considered LotR a fundamentally Christian work. I also accept that you, Formendacil, & others do also. The point is that for most readers it isn't that. If Tolkien did 'absorb' the Christian elements into the story he did this so effectively that they are unrecognisable to those who aren't looking for them. He has boiled 'Christianity' down to its bare bones: self-sacrifice, compassion, humility, mercy - concepts which can be found in just about any serious religion & not specifically Christianity. The dates he subtly introduces (Guide to Names), the style (Authorised Version of the Bible) will either not be noticed by most readers or any similarities will be deliberately ignored. If they could not be ignored, if they were necessary for understanding the story, we would be dealing with a form of allegory.

LotR is a great work of Art, Middle-earth is a true Secondary World, because it is self-contained & not dependent on the Primary world for explanation.

I don't doubt that you can find a 'consciously Christian subtext' to LotR. I'm saying that's irrelevant, because most readers will take no notice of it even if you point it out to them. If this 'subtext' is there to find is it uniquely Christian, things absolutely absent from every other religion or philosophy, or will you claim that, while it is a 'Christian' subext the fact that those things can be found in other religions/philosophies/myths are down to the fact that they are all drawn from Christianity?

My point here is that even if you do manage to prove the existence of a 'consciously Christian subtext' in LotR (I could probably do that myself if I felt inclined, as could any reasonably educated person) only Christians are likely to care. If someone proved there was a planet circling a star in the Andromeda galaxy that was made of cream cheese would you care one way or another? I don't why you'd want to do it, other than for intellectual exercise. Do you really think its likely to convert anyone? Its been done so many times in recent years - see my earlier post (no 36)on how many books I have on the Christian themes/symbols in LotR (& I don't have all the ones that have been published by any means) - that I don't see why you shouldn't repeat the excercise, but neither do I see why you'd want to.

Quote:
I'm basing my research on his contention that his Christian understanding of reality pervades the subtext of LotR.
I'm sure it did, but it doesn't pervade mine. I try to approach the story with as little baggage as possible; if I'm leaving all mine at the door I'm damned if I'm going to carry yours (or his) in with me.

Last edited by davem; 05-07-2006 at 03:28 PM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote